When my parents arrived in Singapore, it was also their Anniversary date!
So it was a win-win trip. I get to have them as company and they get to celebrate their anniversary!
I was dealing with the Hotel a lot, since we had an official delegation coming. I told them that my parent’s were coming for their anniversary and they generously offered to have a bouquet of fresh flowers and a cake delivered to their room on their arrival.
And this was the cake. It was De-Li-Cious! It reminded me of Opera chocolate cake with the crispy cereal inside. Although it does seem small but it was quite filling. We were eating it for two days!
In case you’re wondering, we stayed at the Fullerton Hotel. I highly recommend it.
This has become quite the hit wherever my mother takes it. It’s a no-fuss cake that you enjoy with your morning or afternoon tea.
Many people have asked for its recipe so here it is! Of course this will make my dear mother quite happy as she is already excited that her famous shakshouka is on my blog!
Mom’s Carrot cake
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C
- Beat eggs until frothy and then mix in the sugar until thick (ribbon-stage). Add oil and mix.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture gradually.
- Mix in the orange zest, cinnamon, walnuts, shredded carrots and orange juice.
- Butter and flour a 10 or 12-inch cake pan and then pour the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden.