A ‘love at first taste’ dish. I promise you!
You will need:
10 zucchinis (koussa), grated
2 large red onions, chopped
2 cups water
8 cups full cream yoghurt
4 tablespoons tahini
4 garlic cloves, mashed
4 pita breads
1/4 cup pine nuts
handful of chopped parsley
You will need to prepare the ingredients and the sauces before assembling the dish.
- Cut the bread into small pieces.
- Spread the bread pieces in a large shallow pan.
- Place the pan in a hot oven to lightly toast the bread. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In a medium sized pot fry the chopped onions in olive oil until soft and light brown.
- Add the grated zucchinis and continue frying for a few minutes.
- Add in the 2 cups of water and some salt to taste.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes. Then turn off the heat and keep the vegetables warm in the pot.
In a big bowl mix the yoghurt, tahini and mashed garlic well. Add salt to taste.
- In a pan fry the pine nuts in 6 tablespoons olive oil until lightly brown.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped parsley.
- Keep the garnish warm.
- Prepare a large deep dish.
- First spread a layer of the warm zucchini sauce
- Then top with toasted bread
- Followed with a layer of yoghurt sauce.
- Repeat the layering three times.
- Finally pour the warm garnish over the final layer of yoghurt sauce.
- Cover the dish and allow to sit in a slightly warm place for around half an hour before serving.